Saturday 21 December 2013

Out of the Box Toy - Racing Car


After placing front top and side images into maya I started modelling using curves that followed the main shape of the body like we were taught for the tron bike. This was a little tricky because the part with the lights sticks up above the main bonnet, which meant that I had to guess the shape of it to an extent. 
 

After lofting them into a polygon, I started to extrude around the bottom of the side. Then extruded inwards and up between the two wheel to model most of the side.


I then started to fill in the gaps between the top and the side. I had a bit of a problem getting them to join up neatly but I'm not too bothered as I intended to use this as a base mesh like I made for the shark.

I knew my reference pictures weren't quite straight and so I was already compensating for that while modelling. However I hadn't realised that the scale and alignment was quite as far out as it is until I started working on the front lights.



So I'm going to retake the images and make sure that I line them up properly this time. I'm also also going to try tracing the images so that I have actual lines to work from because I was finding it quite difficult to see the shape of the car once there's polygons in front of it. Then I'll see if I have to restart the model or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment